Trouble Removing Datapaks?

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
phil8715

Trouble Removing Datapaks?

Post by phil8715 »

I have a few Datapaks and I'm finding it really hard to remove them from the rear of my LZ 64.

They seem really stiff, and from what I've seen you just press down and slide but I can't move them. I had to resort to getting a pin and trying budge it out.

What am I doing wrong?
okto

Re: Trouble Removing Datapaks?

Post by okto »

They’re tight, I’ve got huge hands and I have to press pretty hard to pull one.
thesourcerer

Post by thesourcerer »

Some of them are extremely tight, and it is exacerbated by having two or more labels overlaid on the pack. Remove any old labels before applying another. If the pack is stuck, a wide thin blade can be used to lever it out from the connection side, but using a narrow thin blade (e.g. small bladed screwdriver) is likely the leave dent marks on the back of the organiser casing. It is worth putting the organiser face down on a flat rubber surface if you are using considerable pressure to remove a pack, otherwise it could distort the organiser casing.
okto

Post by okto »

There is also a design issue: the packs have a bump on the inserted section designed to snap into a recess in the body of the Org.

This is completely unnecessary, as the friction from the connector pins is more than sufficient to hold the packs in place. It also causes damage that makes it work worse over time; on my LZ, there is a noticeable bending of the case where these bumps interact. Classic Psion overengineering, but in this case it makes the thing less durable, not more.