LZ 64k RAM upgrade - anyone tried it?

This section for hardware reviews and Hardware developments
okto

LZ 64k RAM upgrade - anyone tried it?

Post by okto »

I found a page linked from the old org2 site that mentioned soldering in another RAM chip on the empty pads, but they had no luck. Has anyone done this successfully? Compatible RAM chips are significantly cheaper now than they were when the LZ was new, and still cheaper than a 32k Rampak, so it seems worth a little time with the iron if it's feasible.
amenjet

Re: LZ 64k RAM upgrade - anyone tried it?

Post by amenjet »

okto wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:12 pm I found a page linked from the old org2 site that mentioned soldering in another RAM chip on the empty pads, but they had no luck. Has anyone done this successfully? Compatible RAM chips are significantly cheaper now than they were when the LZ was new, and still cheaper than a 32k Rampak, so it seems worth a little time with the iron if it's feasible.
I've swapped a few ROMs, turning a P250 into an XP, which worked, I've not updated the RAM on anything. If the PCBs were the same between the LZ and LZ64 then updating the RAM should work, as long as the ROM supports the extra memory, so you might need a ROM swap too.

Andrew
okto

Post by okto »

I have my hands on an LZ64 now, so I'm gonna compare the boards between the LZ and LZ64 and see what's different. I've seen pics of an LZ board that clearly has pads for another RAM chip, so I would guess it's no more complex than soldering in the new RAM and maybe changing a jumper.

Every other machine of similar vintage that I've played with that had multiple RAM options just needs the RAM itself added, the firmware/OS will take advantage of all the RAM it can see.
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

okto wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:54 pm I have my hands on an LZ64 now, so I'm gonna compare the boards between the LZ and LZ64 and see what's different. I've seen pics of an LZ board that clearly has pads for another RAM chip, so I would guess it's no more complex than soldering in the new RAM and maybe changing a jumper.

Every other machine of similar vintage that I've played with that had multiple RAM options just needs the RAM itself added, the firmware/OS will take advantage of all the RAM it can see.
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to at least swap the ROm as well, to use the new memory.
Andrew