Do I need any special equipment?

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
phil8715

Do I need any special equipment?

Post by phil8715 »

Do I need any special equipment apart from the serial link to transfer files from PC to my Psion Organiser II?

And how easy is it?

Can I just copy the stuff from the pc to datapak?

I'm totally new to this kind of thing.

Martin very kindly put some games onto a couple of datapaks, but I want to know if it's something I could do myself easily?
Martin
Global Admin

Comms equipment!

Post by Martin »

Hi Phil
Yes it is something you can do.. We all started somewhere...

I suggest a little bed time reading to get you started.. Have a read of Jaaps Using the Comms Link.. which is re-published at the bottom of the page (here)..

At first that will pose more questions than give answers but at least you will know where you are heading.. Unfortunately the USB Comms Links (Made by Olivier Gossuin a Belgium enthusiast) are now very rare. I haven't seen one for sale for over 5 years now. So I suspect you will be looking for an original 25pin RS232 Serial Comms Link and use a Serial to USB adaptor. You will need a Comms Server on your PC to 'communicate' with the Organiser. There are two available ORG-Link_V2 the author of which is a member of this forum and I can fully endorse it - I use it all the time. And there is Boris Cornet's (RIP) Psi2Win which is OK for just transferring files but lacks other facilities like making datapaks or printing pocket spreadsheets..

LIST
RS232 Serial Comms Link
25 to 9 pin adaptor (correct gender)
USB to Serial Adaptor (as Jaap says don't get the wrong one)
Windows Comms Server
Power supply if you are making datapaks

Sincerely
Martin
phil8715

Re: Do I need any special equipment?

Post by phil8715 »

I've got a serial to usb adapter for when I had a Series 3.
Is it just a case of downloading sync software?

obviously I'll have to buy the link cable.
Martin
Global Admin

Comms Linking to a PC

Post by Martin »

Serial to USB that's a start.. Yes you now need a Comms Link (RS232 Cable) pictured in Jaaps 'Using the Comm's Link" paper.

Remember that the Organiser II precedes the Series 3 so there is no 'synchronisation'. All the movement of files and data is done manually (Section 3 of the Comms Link Manual explains how to do this) or you can write a personal 'back-up and restore' program in OPL.

More reading I'm affaid
Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
thesourcerer

Post by thesourcerer »

Andrew has refined the USB Comms Link, to rectify the problem with the USB connector which was prone to snapping if handled roughly. I have some of these, but have not got round to listing them on eBay, however if anyone wants one just message me.
phil8715

Post by phil8715 »

Here's another question.

Can I just transfer the file from the PC directly onto the Psion Organiser ii itself without having to put it onto the datapak?

What I mean is can the Psion Organiser ii hold the file in it's internal memory?
Martin
Global Admin

USB Comms Link

Post by Martin »

Phil..

Yes.. In most cases you transfer from internal memory A: to PC and back. Then if you want to keep it safe you can copy it to a pack in B: or C:

Martin

PS have you seen the post above about Andrew's USB Comms Links.. I tried the ealier version they work a treat. And no converters or adaptors needed.
phil8715

Post by phil8715 »

I'll have to buy one, I've got a 3link but it obviously wouldn't work with the organiser 2 as it's for a 3 series.