Hello from another Psion enthusiast

Reserved for announcements of general interest, news, etc...
loftcat

Post by loftcat »

Hello and thanks for accepting me into the forum. My interest in PDAs goes back to around 1999 when I picked up a Psion 5, though I admired them earlier but were unaffordable to me. Over the years I owned lots of different PDAs and programmed - dare I say it on here - Palm OS. Over the years I've acquired various Psion devices and always come back to them. Oddly I didn't pick up my first Organiser until 2020 (I have two XPs). I do not tend to use Organisers day to day, but have tinkered in the Organiser's OPL language and put together a small implementation of the Monty Hall maths puzzle. I'm not certain it works on devices besides the XP but should anyone be interested I'm happy to share the download link.
Martin
Global Admin

Post by Martin »

Welcome

Yes I believe most people would agree that one of the main strengths of the PSION handhelds is their ability to be programmed..

I for one am always interested in looking at other people's OPL programs.. I'm amazed at how different people can all get to the same point with different programming solutions.

You can post your 'code' in the programming section. You can either attach it as a file or if its not too large you can use the </> code display tool.

Do you program on the Organiser itself or use the simulator ORG2 in the developer (DevPACK.Zip). In the latest version of DevPACK you will find an original 2 line ORG2xp.EXE that simulated the whole Organiser II XP machine rather than the more common ORG2.EXE (ORG2lz.EXE) four line version that only simulated the PROG menu. Of course all these need a DOSbox to run them.

If you are writing OPL's that create and handle data files then xpTOOLS utility datapak (here) combines Peter Houppermans, Jaap's and Geoffrey Millers utilities into one pack that improves the XP file handling facilities similar to those of the LZ models. It certainly helps clean up unwanted files.

By the way did you know you can find out exactly what version of Organiser you have.. See Japps page (here)

Anyway once again welcome and I look forward to 'reading' your code.
Sincerely
Martin
loftcat

Re: Hello from another Psion enthusiast

Post by loftcat »

Martin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:37 pm Welcome

Yes I believe most people would agree that one of the main strengths of the PSION handhelds is their ability to be programmed..

I for one am always interested in looking at other people's OPL programs.. I'm amazed at how different people can all get to the same point with different programming solutions.

You can post your 'code' in the programming section. You can either attach it as a file or if its not too large you can use the </> code display tool.

Do you program on the Organiser itself or use the simulator ORG2 in the developer (DevPACK.Zip). In the latest version of DevPACK you will find an original 2 line ORG2xp.EXE that simulated the whole Organiser II XP machine rather than the more common ORG2.EXE (ORG2lz.EXE) four line version that only simulated the PROG menu. Of course all these need a DOSbox to run them.

If you are writing OPL's that create and handle data files then xpTOOLS utility datapak (here) combines Peter Houppermans, Jaap's and Geoffrey Millers utilities into one pack that improves the XP file handling facilities similar to those of the LZ models. It certainly helps clean up unwanted files.

By the way did you know you can find out exactly what version of Organiser you have.. See Japps page (here)

Anyway once again welcome and I look forward to 'reading' your code.
Sincerely
Martin
Thanks Martin, I'll certainly drop my code into the programming section. I don't think it will win any coding proficiency awards - it was my first attempt on a Psion Organiser (although I've tinkered with the later machines).

I actually programmed it on the Organiser itself, which was interesting and helped me to learn how to use it effectively. Unfortunately I do not have a serial connector to transfer it so I remember re-typing it into a text file on my laptop before saving it - a bit laborious although it's a fairly small program.

I've not actually tried the simulator yet - I'll be sure to try that out some time!