Question: Comms Link - 2 line vs 4 line

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
WallyEmm

Question: Comms Link - 2 line vs 4 line

Post by WallyEmm »

I was reading the Comms Link instructions at Jaap's web site and ran across this paragraph:
A menu appears with the options FILE, PROCEDURE, and possibly NOTES. To send a data file such as A:MAIN, choose FILE. To transfer a procedure's source code, choose PROCEDURE. The NOTES option will only be available if you are using an LZ/LZ64 Organiser and a 4-line version of the Comms Link. Choose the NOTES option to transfer an LZ notepad file.
Will a 2-line Comm LInk work with a LZ except for the NOTES option, or is a 4-line Comm Link required with a LZ? How can a 4-line model be distinguished from a 2-line model? I received a Comms Link along with my XP, so I assume it is a 2-line model. It does not contain the red LED, or at least I haven't found one on it.

I don't have a LZ but I was wondering if I were to get one, would I also need a new Comms Link to connect to a PC.

Thanks,
Wally
amenjet

Re: Question: Comms Link - 2 line vs 4 line

Post by amenjet »

A 2 line comms link will work with an LZ, it will appear with 2 line menus. It will work, apart from the extra LZ options, I think.
You can use it on an LZ.
It is possible to turn a 2 line comms link into a 4 line by sapping the ROM. This is a fairly tricky thing to do, though, for various reasons.

Andrew
Martin
Global Admin

Identifying Comms Link version

Post by Martin »

Hi Wally

Andrew is correct an 'early version' two line display Comms Link will work with any Organiser CM XP (LA) and LZ so you don't need to buy a new one if you get an LZ. Also there is a work-a-round for 'moving' Notepad files back and forth on an LZ. In fact you may even have a later version Comms Link because if you are using it on a CM/XP then it will detect that and give you the appropriate menu choices. You can tell which version you have..

Connect the Comms Link and press {ON] and check the Comms Option is on the top level menu... Use the calculator and type PEEKB(8441)
(a) {<=20} Early version RS232 Links (not yet called Comms Link) don't have the PSION protocol in the setup menu.
(b) {>=20 <=25} first few versions of the Comms Link (has PSION Protocol) but are two line only.
(c) {>64} these are four line (automatic two line) versions the higher the number returned the later the version.

If you are using your Comms Link to connect to a Windows PC then 'Lostgallifreyan' a member here has recently worked hard on ensuring his ORG-Link (version 2) plays nicely with Windows.

Sincerely
Martin

PS My early version 4 line RS232 Comms link doesn't have a red LED but works perfectly fine.. I have however seen somewhere someone with 'electrics' skills patching one onto the board!

PPS If you (or anyone else) are considering purchasing an Organiser post in the shop section first so you don't get ripped of by the 'collectors' on eBay.
thesourcerer

Post by thesourcerer »

As far as Comms Links go, there was a period when the earlier Comms Link cases without the LED were modified for LZ/LZ64s, so the absence of an LED does not necessarily mean it is a 2 line version, although most are. It is relatively easy to add an LED with appropriate resistor., however I think this should only be done for the 4 line versions, otherwise it would be confusing (and open to abuse if selling on eBay etc).
The blue labelled RS232 “Comms Links” are lacking the Psion protocols as stated above.
WallyEmm

Post by WallyEmm »

Thanks for the comments. I ran the version test on my Comms Link and PEEKB(8441) = 37. I have downloaded ORG-Link but I need to go through some boxes and find an old DB-25 to DB-9 adapter. I know I have a couple, it's just a question of finding one.

Wally
Martin
Global Admin

Comms Link version

Post by Martin »

Hi Wally

Read Jaaps 'Using the Comms Link' paper republished (here) to see the difficulties he had with OLD Serial to USB converters..

37 gives you a two line Comm Link with the PSION protocol.. just check in the [Setup] list
Lostgallifreyan

Re: Comms Link version

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

Martin wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:25 pm Hi Wally

Read Jaaps 'Using the Comms Link' paper republished [url=http://https..sites.google.com/site/martin2reid/psion-organiser-ii/manuals/comms-link#h.ebv0h0kndxh9] (here) [/url] to see the difficulties he had with OLD Serial to USB converters..

37 gives you a two line Comm Link with the PSION protocol.. just check in the [Setup] list
On that subject, I want to recommend the FTDI-based 'StarTech ICUSB2321F' (and the two-port variant of it) again. It just bailed me out of a router-hack to restore a dodgy Ebay item to something less ISP-specific. I was getting garbage even at proper bitrate with the PC's UART, but the Startech device worked perfectly.

There have been claims that the FTDI-based devices can lose a connection, but I always assumed this was something that USB was prone to anyway, hence Org-Link having the clickable 'Link state' text by the thing that looks like an LED, top right of the interface. It's usually easier to restore a lost USB serial link, than any other kind. I was never a fan of USB but I am slowly being converted.

Also maybe of interest: I have found that an old 2-line Comms Link is often faster than a 4-line link. If it offers all that someone needs, it may be the better choice, as well as the cheaper and easier one!
Lostgallifreyan

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

WallyEmm wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:57 am Thanks for the comments. I ran the version test on my Comms Link and PEEKB(8441) = 37. I have downloaded ORG-Link but I need to go through some boxes and find an old DB-25 to DB-9 adapter. I know I have a couple, it's just a question of finding one.

Wally
It's well worth cutting off the DB25 just to put a DE9 on the end. :) Also, if you have the patience for it, you could mount a DE9 right on the front of the top slot adapter, then use any convenient RS-232 cable. I only did that once, but I never regretted it. It's handy for plugging small GPS modules on top, too..