Hey folks, noob here

Reserved for announcements of general interest, news, etc...
amenjet

Re: Hey folks, noob here

Post by amenjet »

Can you run Ubuntu in a virtual machine? It's a bit fiddly but might work. Or install Ubuntu 20 something on a machine?
I'm not sure I follow the 868MHz link reference. Is that a link to an 868MHz radio?

Andrew
Lostgallifreyan

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

amenjet wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:33 pm Can you run Ubuntu in a virtual machine? It's a bit fiddly but might work. Or install Ubuntu 20 something on a machine?
I'm not sure I follow the 868MHz link reference. Is that a link to an 868MHz radio?

Andrew
Small radio links for sensors. I'm not sure why those are chosen instead of serial over Bluetooth though. Maybe longer range, possibly a simpler interface. More likely a proportional signal that serial isn't good at. I like the HC05 Bluetooth things, especially if they faithfully pass flow control signals, which I'm not sure of yet. Same applies to the Bolutek things, but I'll be testing when I have no greater priorities for time.

Edit: I don't know how fast a serial flow control line can be switched, but if plenty, then there may be scope for slow PWM for a proportional signal on it.
Bumblemittens

Post by Bumblemittens »

amenjet wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:33 pm I'm not sure I follow the 868MHz link reference. Is that a link to an 868MHz radio?

Andrew
I have a couple of serial 868mhz transceivers, they are transparent serial ports, yes they are long range, I previously used them as a cat tracker, reporting their GPS position back to a Raspi, yes I have Bluetooth serial modules for close range wireless serial, I'm really interested in utilizing the organiser as a APRS reported or for sending packet data, if you are unfamiliar with APRS a quick Google of AX25 protocol and APRS should help explain
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

Bumblemittens wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:22 pm
amenjet wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:33 pm I'm not sure I follow the 868MHz link reference. Is that a link to an 868MHz radio?

Andrew
I have a couple of serial 868mhz transceivers, they are transparent serial ports, yes they are long range, I previously used them as a cat tracker, reporting their GPS position back to a Raspi, yes I have Bluetooth serial modules for close range wireless serial, I'm really interested in utilizing the organiser as a APRS reported or for sending packet data, if you are unfamiliar with APRS a quick Google of AX25 protocol and APRS should help explain
Ah, I think I see. So it's probably a 1200 or 9600 baud serial data link that you need? The Comms Link can do that. if you are looking for top slot or datapack hardware information then the technical manual has that. Both are not simple interfaces and are quite complicated to interface to. There are a few examples on the internet and the schematic for the comms link is available on Jaap's site. For serial data you are probably best off using a comms link (which was designed to be a generic interface, the PCB was used in many products) or starting with the comms link circuit and designing your own hardware, which is what I did when I made sort-of-copes of Olivier's USB adapter. i also made some Pi Pico based top slot hardware which was just to see if I could do it, really. I think someone might have a prototype that I made which has an 8 bi tinput latch and an 8 bit output latch. i had to write some code for that, which live sin the Pico and looks like a ROM to the top slot.

Andrew
Bumblemittens

Post by Bumblemittens »

amenjet wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:19 am
Bumblemittens wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:22 pm

Andrew
Ah, I think I see. So it's probably a 1200 or 9600 baud serial data link that you need? The Comms Link can do that. if you are looking for top slot or datapack hardware information then the technical manual has that. Both are not simple interfaces and are quite complicated to interface to. There are a few examples on the internet and the schematic for the comms link is available on Jaap's site. For serial data you are probably best off using a comms link (which was designed to be a generic interface, the PCB was used in many products) or starting with the comms link circuit and designing your own hardware, which is what I did when I made sort-of-copes of Olivier's USB adapter. i also made some Pi Pico based top slot hardware which was just to see if I could do it, really. I think someone might have a prototype that I made which has an 8 bi tinput latch and an 8 bit output latch. i had to write some code for that, which live sin the Pico and looks like a ROM to the top slot.

Andrew
Awesome, yeah I'll look into a Comms link for pc<>psion transfers, the 868mhz serial modules are going to be used to report environmental data over a couple of miles, anyhow, back to it