Bad Notes File - error message

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
PaulK

Bad Notes File - error message

Post by PaulK »

Hi all.

Just wondered if anyone could explain why I might be getting a "bad notes file" error message when I send a notes file from my Mac to my LZ64.

I can get the notes file off the Psion to the Mac no problem. I amend the note (adding characters that cannot be added on the Psion) and send it back but I always get the same error!

I've tried various formats for the Note file, but not really sure what format they are supposed to be in. I assume as plain a text file as possible? I've tried with and without .txt file name extension, but still no luck.

Am I missing something?

Any help much appreciated please.

Thanks
Paul.
Martin
Global Admin

Re: Bad Notes File - error message

Post by Martin »

Hi Paul...

Page 31 of the Republished Comms Link Manual (here) (in the connecting to a Macintosh section) states it is a password protected Notes file issue.

Also we've had hidden control character issues. On windows you get transmission errors or corrupted files if there are hidden characters in the text as you could get if you used the old Windows Write programme instead of Windows Notepad. Also look out for a 'small right arrow' control character at the end of the document/database sometimes introduced by a Comms Link as you transmit from Organiser to computer. If that is still there when you receive it back the file will be corrupt.
RightArrowEOF_Small.jpg
Also if you create a Notes file in Jaap's OPK file editor and don't put a <LF> at the end of the file (move on to a new 'blank' line) the file will be corrupt and wont open on the Organiser.

Let me know what you find... it might be worth an apple product information section.

Sincerely Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulK

Post by PaulK »

Thanks Martin, thats brilliant!
I'll have a play and see if I can sort out the issue.

I'd be happy to post up details of how I connect my Psion Org2 with a modern mac. I use the USB Comms link to sort the hardware side of things, but I think I've found a working software solution, for getting stuff off the Organiser and onto the Mac, and some things (Files and OPL) onto the Organiser from the Mac. Its just notes I'm having some issues with, but those issues may fall away once I've checked out your tips!

Will keep you posted.
Cheers,
Paul.
Martin
Global Admin

Post by Martin »

Fantastic Paul...

Once you have it sorted I'll update and re-publish the Machintosh section of the Comms Link Manual... In fact do you have time to read the current version? Then you/we/I can have a go at updating it to as you say a modern mac.

Sincerely Martin

PS If you didn't set the Notes password then the 'comms link' must be setting it...
Check out Jaaps The Psion LZ Password System page (here)