PSION Stories

Share your reminiscences
Martin
Global Admin

PSION Stories

Post by Martin »

Huw Barnes a member of the PSION FaceBook group posted some of his experiences while working for PSION.

Psion Stories #1 - Flight Simulator - (here)
Psion Stories #2 - The start of his journey - (here)
Psion Stories #3 - The Sinclair QL - (here)
Psion Stories #4 - Psion Chess - (here)

For those interested there is a DOS copy of PSION Chess - (here)

Martin
Hawsey

Re: PSION Stories

Post by Hawsey »

Great Stories there thanks for sharing those Peter . I believe that the software suite was also produced by them for the Merlin Tonto (OPD) which is a strange business Computer with built in telephone and answer machine with speech synthesized chip .
We can use this thread to share other Psion tales as well .
Cheers .
Martin
Global Admin

PSION's DOS Software

Post by Martin »

OPD.png
Yes the One Per Desk was a development of the Sinclair QL that was bundled with PSION's 'office' software that became PSION xchange or the reduced price PC-Four for the IBM PC Clones...

For those using a 32 bit PC or DosBOX, who would like to give them a try, there are DOS-PC copies of

PSION PC-Four (here)
and PSION Chess (which Huw outlines above in his recollections from his time working for PSION in the 1980's) (here)

Sincerely
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

According to a friend,These were used at British Telecom.
I wonder if the QL rom was the first or final one as I know there were issues with the computer to rush it to public release?
Lostgallifreyan

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

Not the story anyone was looking for, this, but here goes.
I was using an Organiser as a run logger several years ago, and it was a day so hot that the Organiser was fine, but I wasn't. I eventually found a source of water, and to drink it, I used the Organiser's cover as a cup. Oh, the appliance of science...
Martin
Global Admin

Run Logger

Post by Martin »

Hi Lostgallifreyan

'run logger'? you know I can't resist a logging program!

Martin
Lostgallifreyan

Re: Run Logger

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

Martin wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:32 pm Hi Lostgallifreyan

'run logger'? you know I can't resist a logging program!

Martin
'Event'. I think I posted it on the old forum. I might do it here soon. It was aimed at being small and fast to use. It timestamped terse written entries, and if nothing was written, it would log a 'start', turn off, and when turned back on it immediately logged an 'end', useful when there was no time to write any detail, but timing was important for more elaborate descriptions to be added some other time. It was modular, so has things useful in a program for radio monitoring, adding or referring to logs of known frequencies, etc. It won't be reinventing HamLog anytime soon, but it was useful enough. It allowed editing of a past entry, while not losing the temporal sort order when saving the edit. This meant the data must be on a RAM pack for speed, and it still gets slow if the log gets big..