remote power and turn on via top slot

This section for hardware reviews and Hardware developments
Zzoom

remote power and turn on via top slot

Post by Zzoom »

Im looking at a way to power up and turn on a XP without an internal battery ,In theory I should be able to do this ..??? any advise welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amenjet

Re: remote power and turn on via top slot

Post by amenjet »

Zzoom wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:59 pm Im looking at a way to power up and turn on a XP without an internal battery ,In theory I should be able to do this ..??? any advise welcome.
The ON switch and GND are OK, I think. It's safest to drive the VB/external power which will power everything else up and give you all the rails. Driving the 5V might a) misdrive the 5V regulator and/or b) not give you all the rails that the organiser uses. It doesn't use just 5V internally.
The downside is that the VB line needs about 10.4V to drive it.
You also need a diode to prevent powering if you have a 9V battery inserted.
The top slot power adapter PCBs are exactly that circuit: powering VB with a diode and using a 10.4V supply (and adding a power on led)
Martin
Global Admin

Top Slot Power Supply

Post by Martin »

The top slot power adapter PCBs are exactly that circuit: powering VB with a diode and using a 10.4V supply
Hi Nigel

I have a spare 'issue 1 Top Slot Power PCB' (without case of course) if you want to give it a try! I can understand if you want to make your own, make sure you get the connector with the correct length pins.

Sincerely Martin
Zzoom

Re: remote power and turn on via top slot

Post by Zzoom »

Absolutelly ! :D drop you a PM
Martin
Global Admin

Psion top slot power supply board

Post by Martin »

It's in the post