Backlight

This section for hardware reviews and Hardware developments
Zzoom

Backlight

Post by Zzoom »

Has anyone managed to get a backlight on a original display ?
1333david

Re: Backlight

Post by 1333david »

I see Christoph Pulster posted rare Blackroc modified version of the Psion 2 on Facebook (see attached image).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

Are there any photos of the inside of that unit? It looks like they may have added a sheet of electroluminescent material into the display, or under it.
Are there any instructions with it? I see that there's a datapack for it, I wonder if they have a bit somewhere that turns the backlight on and off?

The question of how to illuminate the keyboard remains, as it doesn't look like they have done anything about that.
Daren

Backlit keys

Post by Daren »

Maybe a idea for backlit keys could be getting clear keys moulded? I know that some other retro computer communities have had keys re-manufactured in custom versions like clear, glow in the dark and various colours. Probably someone like PCBWay could make them as they now do injection moulding, would look nice with grey keys shot through with clear letters, then when the light comes on they illuminate.
amenjet

Re: Backlit keys

Post by amenjet »

Daren wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:45 pm Maybe a idea for backlit keys could be getting clear keys moulded? I know that some other retro computer communities have had keys re-manufactured in custom versions like clear, glow in the dark and various colours. Probably someone like PCBWay could make them as they now do injection moulding, would look nice with grey keys shot through with clear letters, then when the light comes on they illuminate.
The problem with clear keys is that the membrane underneath is not transparent at all. So no light can shine from the PCB through the keys.

I think maybe it would be possible to put LEDs on the top and bottom of the bezel around the keyboard, and illuminate over the top of the keys, but that would be a fiddly job indeed.
PaulK

Post by PaulK »

I wonder if anyone could manufacture a membrane in transparent material. That, combined with clear keys could work.

🤔
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

PaulK wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:30 pm I wonder if anyone could manufacture a membrane in transparent material. That, combined with clear keys could work.

🤔
Without a doubt someone could, probably many people. The issue is the cost.
Daren

Post by Daren »

A low tech approach might be glow in the dark paint on the letters? Or a gooseneck light which plugs into top slot.
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

Daren wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:07 am A low tech approach might be glow in the dark paint on the letters? Or a gooseneck light which plugs into top slot.
Yes, some sort of light shining on the key from above might work.
I think it might be possible to drill small holes around the keypad and insert leds into them. That might give enough light maybe to read the keytops.