Tandy TRS80 model 100 to Psion connection

This section for hardware reviews and Hardware developments
Daren

Post by Daren »

The Tandy TRS80 Model 100 is an early portable computer with a very nice keyboard and quite a reasonable LCD display, it has a standard RS232 DB25 serial port, they can still be found at reasonable prices.

I use mine with my Psion LZ64 and connect the comms link to the Model 100 using a DB25 male to male gender changer, so a nice simple setup.

Once the comms parameters on both machines are set the same they work very nicely together, it is very handy to type up notes on the Model 100 then transfer them to the Psion, when sending from the Model 100 you are prompted to set the width, set this to 20 and the document arrives on the Psion formatted so that lines do not exceed the screen boundary.

I think that similar results could be obtained from other old portable computers such as the Cambridge Z88 and Amstrad Notepad NC100.

Anyway, in my opinion a very useful addition to the Psion that is very quick to setup and use when wanting to take notes. If anyone is interested in doing this I will write up the comms settings for both devices. The Psion sends files to the Model 100 fine too, handy for editing OPL programs for example, send it to the Model 100, make the edits then send it back to the Psion. Because of the bigger screen I find this quite a nice way to work.
Martin
Global Admin

Post by Martin »

Hi Daren

Fantastic... can you post a picture of the setup (resize and compress image)

I particularly like the idea of passing OPL back and forth.

I'm always fascinated to see how different enthusiasts use their organiser..

Sincerely
Martin

PS as of 12/03/24 there is a boxed one on eBay (£68) by some retro computing guy.
Daren

Re: Tandy TRS80 model 100 to Psion connection

Post by Daren »

Hi Martin, yes I will post a picture of the setup and details of how to setup, in the unlikely scenario it may help someone else in the future.

Slightly off topic but related, I also successfully connected my LZ64 to my XP and transferred a OPL program from the LZ64 (after first xtran to make compatible). It worked amazingly well and blindingly fast too :)

I could have just used a datapak or the computer, but both would have taken longer, I simply connected the 2 comms links using a db25 m/m null modem adapter, set the comms setup to default settings, set XP to receive proc, set LZ to transmit, less than a second later done. Something so satisfying about it 8-)
Martin
Global Admin

Comms Organiser to Organiser

Post by Martin »

Daren wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:39 am Slightly off topic but related, I also successfully connected my LZ64 to my XP and transferred a OPL program from the LZ64 (after first xtran to make compatible). It worked amazingly well and blindingly fast too :)
That's a great 'spot' Darren. I'm going to give it a try... One of my RS232 leads is 'locked' on to my PC COM1 so I'm going to try it with USB to USB... I'll get a 'USB A Socket to A Socket Adaptor' when I pop into CPC next week, they are really expensive at 66p each!... I'll keep you posted...

Also... When I took a look at the Model 100 I saw
(a) Microsoft and
(b) DOS...
Does it run a version of (PC/MS) DOS? If so would there be a way of getting an .EXE file on board?

Also smiling
Martin
Daren

Post by Daren »

I was expecting it not to work, so was quite delighted when it did, first try. My comms cables are both standard so using a null modem adapter was needed to switch the rx and tx, I don’t think USB will work but it will be handy to know for sure.

The Model 100 is a bit of a dinosaur even by Psion2 standards, 1982 I think, pre IBM PC standard, so no msdos compatibility. It can use floppies if you get a drive for it, but there is no built in drive. It has a very nice keyboard and is very good for quickly writing, which is how I use it, then transfer into LZ notepad.
amenjet

Re: Comms Organiser to Organiser

Post by amenjet »

Martin wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:49 pm
That's a great 'spot' Darren. I'm going to give it a try... One of my RS232 leads is 'locked' on to my PC COM1 so I'm going to try it with USB to USB... I'll get a 'USB A Socket to A Socket Adaptor' when I pop into CPC next week, they are really expensive at 66p each!... I'll keep you posted...

Also... When I took a look at the Model 100 I saw
(a) Microsoft and
(b) DOS...
Does it run a version of (PC/MS) DOS? If so would there be a way of getting an .EXE file on board?

Also smiling
Martin
I would be surprised if the USB to USB connection worked. USB isn't a simple serial interface like RS232, but rather requires a host device and a target device. With two Organiser USB adapters you have two target devices and nothing to drive them. RS232, on the other hand, is a serial link between two hosts, or more accurately a DCE and a DTE. Connecting USB would be a bit like a terminal talking to another terminal, there's nothing to 'drive' anything. I don't think anything will be damaged, but I can't be sure of that.
1333david

Post by 1333david »

I'm following this with interest. I try to write OPL programs on the Psion but when the program becomes too long I use the PC. But, I do prefer LCD displays as I find them easier on the eyes. It would be nice to use a device with a larger LCD display and decent keyboard like my Amstrad NC100 and transfer back and forth to the Psion.
Martin
Global Admin

easy on the eyes

Post by Martin »

Hi Dave

I know what you mean about 'easy on the eyes'. I'm using ORG2 the white on black is better for me. Also For others watching... If you set the font to Courier New (BOLD) in Windows Notepad then it is easier to read and shows better how it will appear on the Organiser screen - don't forget to change the file extension to OPL or ODB
ORG2_320_small.jpg
I'd be interested to know how you got on with an 'Amstrad NC100' or if anyone has a 'Cambridge Z88'

Sincerely
Martin

PS Darren.. Can't wait to see the pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daren

Post by Daren »

Here is the photo, sorry it is not the best but shows message sent from Tandy to LZ, then LZ to Tandy in terminal.

Procedures, notes and files can all be sent to the Tandy where they are saved as .do type files, which is just plain text. They can be edited on the Tandy then sent back to the Psion, at least notes and procedures can, I did not try files as I have no use for that as I do those on my PC as spreadsheets with delimited cells.

The Tandy display is quite readable, non backlit LCD, 40 characters wide and 8 lines, so editing or writing OPL and notes on it is very easy on the eye, and as mentioned earlier it does have a very nice keyboard too.

Happy to answer any other questions as always.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daren

Post by Daren »

1333david wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:02 am I'm following this with interest. I try to write OPL programs on the Psion but when the program becomes too long I use the PC. But, I do prefer LCD displays as I find them easier on the eyes. It would be nice to use a device with a larger LCD display and decent keyboard like my Amstrad NC100 and transfer back and forth to the Psion.
I’m pretty sure it is possible, I think the NC100 has a comms program built it, so probably all that is needed is to get a adapter for the comms link, and set the comms parameters the same for both the Psion and the Amstrad.

I got some adapters from this company, they seem to have quite a range at fair prices and they sent them quickly http://www.betterbox.co.uk/