Is PS required for Comm Link

This special section for all the COMMS LINK and communications issues
amitor

Post by amitor »

I am still waiting on my Comm Link to arrive, but in the meantime have been doing some reading. What I can't figure out is - do I actually need a PS to power it, or am I ok just using it on Organizer's battery power? Jaap's "Using Comm Link" doesn't seem to mention anything about it...
amenjet

Re: Is PS required for Comm Link

Post by amenjet »

No, a supply isn't needed. I used one for many years and didn't own a PSU until recently. If plugged in, the PSU powers the Organiser and hence the comms link which takes it's supply from the Organiser. This supply model is one that is used by most if not all of the top slot devices, including the modern 're-creations'.
Martin
Global Admin

Post by Martin »

Andrew is correct you can power the RS232 Serial Comms Link from the Organiser. Just remember that if you are 'burning' Datapaks then using a power supply stops you using up your batteries.

I have a spare power supply here that you can loan if you want to 'try before you buy' see the load thread

Sincerely Martin
amitor

Re: Is PS required for Comm Link

Post by amitor »

Martin wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:29 pm Andrew is correct you can power the RS232 Serial Comms Link from the Organiser. Just remember that if you are 'burning' Datapaks then using a power supply stops you using up your batteries.

I have a spare power supply here that you can loan if you want to 'try before you buy' see the load thread

Sincerely Martin
Thanks Martin, appreciate the offer, however I'm just starting with Comm Link. Now that I know it's safe on battery power only, I think I'm good for right now.