Removal of dent from metal case section

This section for hardware reviews and Hardware developments
PaulK

Removal of dent from metal case section

Post by PaulK »

Hi all,

Hope you had a great Christmas!

I've been given an LZ64, which other than a small dent in the metal screen surround, is in pretty good condition.

Just wondered how easy it is to remove the metal surround please? If it's an easy thing to do, the dent should be easy enough to knock out with a hammer I suspect.

Anyone got any experience in doing anything similar?

Many thanks
Paul
thesourcerer

Re: Removal of dent from metal case section

Post by thesourcerer »

Yes, the aluminium based fascia can be removed relatively easily. The sides have two bent lugs on each side. These need to be straightened to release them, but they are susceptible to breaking if bent too far. The fascia is also glued with an elastic type of adhesive (similar to a rubber glue) and needs carefully prying off by inserting a thin metal blade or knife underneath and slowly levering it free without distorting the flat back.
Replacing it requires bending the lugs back into position, which is when they are most likely to snap.
Perhaps I have jumped the gun. I should have said that the case needs the three screws in the back (two recessed ones at the base and the middle one under the tamperproof label), and the case parted by hinging back from the base. Then you will see the bent lugs, 2 on each side of both halves. Only bend them as far as needed to release the fascia.
The glue can be removed with solvents but unless it has lumps in it it does not necessarily need removing. If it is removed, I would personally use a good quality double sided adhesive tape to replace it.
PaulK

Re: Removal of dent from metal case section

Post by PaulK »

Thanks for the info Peter. Much appreciated.

I'll get family Xmas visits done and dusted and have a play!

All the best
Paul