Flashpak reports "device not found" after MAKE

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
okto

Post by okto »

I restored an OPK of my 128k Flashpak using ORG-Link, and the Pak now shows as read-only, even though the driver is installed. When I try to format it on the Organiser, Flash reports 'Device Not Found."

Help!
Martin
Global Admin

Post by Martin »

Hi Okto

(1) Confirm that the flash software in memory is the same as that on the pack! (v19) is the last version.

(2) The reproduced Flashpak leaflet (here) has details of the Write Protection of Flash Datapaks.

(3) Have you tried the OPK in Jaap's emulator? If it works there then you are sure it is not the OPK!

(4) Have you inspected to OPK in Jaap's OPK File Editor to see if the write protect bit is set.

(5) After all this; if you want to PM me a copy of the OPK I can try it here and see what happens.

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin

PS if you get to the bottom of it can you post here to help others who might have the same issue later
okto

Re: Flashpak reports "device not found" after MAKE

Post by okto »

Martin, thanks as always for the response, you've been tremendously helpful in my experience with the Organiser.

1. Both are version 19
2. Write protection is disabled per Jaap's OPK editor
3. (see above)
4. (see above)
5. I'm going to try MAKEing a pack with the OPK of the contents of the Flashpak when it was working, rather than the one I edited in Jaap's editor to remove all my files, but if that doesn't work, I'll shoot the image over.
Martin
Global Admin

Problems MAKEing Flash Datapacks

Post by Martin »

Okto

I can't remember exactly but I seem to remember having a problem with the OPK editor and the flashpack [] switch. Try creating it as a standard EPROM. I think the formatting of the pack just before the MAKE command will take care of the flash driver.

Also are you making it 'bootable' if so don't use the bootable [] switch in the OPK editor, but put BOOT BIN, BOOT OB3 and ADDTOP OB3 at the top of the pack contents list - samples attached... Bootable Packs page 40 of the republished developer manual

If you checkout page 4 of the said Manual (here) you will see that you need version 3.00 or later of the MAKE command for Flash Packs. Jaap mentions Flash Packs on page 65. There is also a DeveloperTips paper (here).

The Author of ORG-Link_V2 is a member here "Lostgallifreyan" but he hasn't visited for a while. I've emailed him to check he used version 3.2 of MAKE in ORG-Link. I'll confirm this when he replies.. You never know he may respond here...

Anyway keep trying
Martin
LZ_PACK_BOOT_FILES.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin
Global Admin

Consider DOSBox

Post by Martin »

lostgallifreyan has responded to my email very comprehensively. I'll read it again, distil it and post it here later.

In the meantime it occurred to me when waking from my slumbers that Νίκος Κωστελίδης our long established Greek enthusiast and member here (Nick Kostelidis) once reported an iussue with ORG-Link_V2 MAKE on his 64 bit Windows system. Although I never managed to reproduce the issue on my 64 bit tablet here I must admit I do most of my legacy stuff on a 32 bit Windows 7 desktop.

To eliminate any 64 bit ORG-Link issue
Firstly if you hve access to a 32 bit system you could try that. We know for sure it is very stable on 32 bit.

If you don't have access to a 32 bit system you may want to eliminate any ORG-Link issues by running OPLTAN, BLDPACK and MAKE in DOSBox. It is at the mention of DOSBox that casual Organiser II users put their recently found Organiser back in the drawer where they found it to get on with other things. If you are up for it then Jaaps excellent paper 'Using the Comms Link" is included in the republished developer manaual. If you are not familiar with DOSBox then I would suggest that because these legacy DOS commands were written at the time of 8+3 character filenames that don't play nicely with complicated directory structures, you place your working directory close to the root drive on C:\ something like C:\DOSBox or C:\PSION or in my case C:\WORKING.

I'll leave it for now, I'll get back to you with lostgallifreyan's thoughts later.

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
okto

Re: Problems MAKEing Flash Datapacks

Post by okto »

Martin wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:49 pm I can't remember exactly but I seem to remember having a problem with the OPK editor and the flashpack [] switch. Try creating it as a standard EPROM. I think the formatting of the pack just before the MAKE command will take care of the flash driver.
Unmarking it bootable and Flashpak in OPK Editor seemed to fix it. The pack MAKEd without issue and is readable as a flash device in the Organiser.

At some point I will probably experiment to see if the bootable flag or the Flashpak flag was responsible for the error, but for now I'm just happy to have it working.
Martin
Global Admin

Re: Flashpak reports "device not found" after MAKE

Post by Martin »

Fantastic..

If you want it to be bootable check out the information above

Martin