Notepad max file size?

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
Daren

Notepad max file size?

Post by Daren »

I did a test with a large notepad file and posted the result on the old forum, IIRC it was about 3k that I tried and it was fine, but has anyone made bigger notepad files or know the maximum size?

I’d also be interested in other maximum file number/sizes for the databases and other built in apps if anyone knows them.

The reason I’m wondering about notepad in particular is that it might be handy to use for lookup type data, rather than using the database for certain types of data and documents.
Martin
Global Admin

maximum size of file entries!

Post by Martin »

Hi Daren

Notepad Files (NTS / OB7)
Unlimited!
Page 114 of the technical reference manual (here) outlines that in a Notepad the maximum length of a line of text is 225 characters (+ binary 0 EoL) the maximum number of lines is only limited to the memory available. I have a book list Notepad file with 80 lines and windows reports it as 2132 bytes and [Utils][Dir] reports is as 2058.

There is reference to 'corrupted' Notepad files. I have noticed this when creating them in Jaap's OPK editor - if you don't finish the last line with a (LF) to put the cursor on a new line it will be reported as corrupt in an Organiser.

Database File (ODB)
Page 123
RECORDS AND FIELDS
A record contains at least one character and at most 254 characters. A record may contain up to 16 fields, delimited by the TAB character (ASCII 9). Strings are held as the ASCII characters, numbers are held in the ASCII form.

Diary (ODB)
The limit is 64 characters in a diary entry.

Hope this helps
Sincerely
Martin
Daren

Re: Notepad max file size?

Post by Daren »

Thanks Martin it does help, I knew about the max characters per line in notepad and max characters in database (probably from you in a post on the old forum!) but do you know if there is a max number of records in a db file or is that also just limited by available memory too?

I have been out of the Psion loop for a few months so a bit rusty, want to get back into my (modest) OPL programming endeavours, I watched your tutorial video on making packs the other night, great stuff!
Martin
Global Admin

Different data storage options

Post by Martin »

Hi again Daren

Yes an ODB can be any size limited only to the memory available (and with Andrews 256K and 512K packs that is going to be one hell of a database.).. Remember maximum 254 characters per record and in a maximum of 16 fields.

I found that the larger the database is the longer it takes to 'find' your request. I got to the stage where I would have students group 1 in one database, group 2 in another and so forth and their records and attainments in another. Now on a PC with relational databases it is relatively simple to cross reference between 'related' files. With sequential databases like ODB's you need to design a series of 'indexing' fields. Also with ODB sequential files the 'order' changes each time the data is updated as an altered record is 'deleted' and replaced with another record at the end of the file. I kept the three or four class groups (that don't change once created) on a datapak and the attainments file (which is constantly changing) was stored in RAM A:. I have an ex (1980's) student that still tells the tail of when he and the class first saw Mr Reid put our marks in a hand held computer...

If you have a Comms Link you can create your ODB's in a spreadsheet and save them as a <TAB> delimited values file (rather than CSV) and remember to give the file extension ODB. It's fantastic when this just opens in XFiles...

You can of course use [Plan] the pocket spreadsheet to keep you data in (26 columns 99 rows). Lostgallifreyan's ORG-Link_V2 has excellent spreadsheet handling capabilities for transferring the data back and forth to a PC.

Making Packs
I can recommend using a RamPack to 'proof' your making and debugging of packs - It is quick to 'reformat' and quick to write to - all done in the MAKE operation. Again if you haven't got DOS (DosBOX for example) then you can't beat ORG-Link_V2 for making packs.

Anyway keep me posted on how you get on..
Sincerely
Martin
Daren

Post by Daren »

Thanks for the tips Martin - some very useful info here, I do have a comms link so will try this once I decide on the best way to tackle the databases. I think that the Psion is not optimal for database creation (aside from simple stuff) but is pretty good and very handy for looking up/finding due to its relatively good speed and portability.

I will probably experiment with Jaap’s OPK editor as that looked a bit easier in your video? Any thoughts or downsides to that approach?
okto

Re: maximum size of file entries!

Post by okto »

Martin wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:17 pm if you don't finish the last line with a (LF) to put the cursor on a new line it will be reported as corrupt in an Organiser.
Ah! This explains why snippets of text I sent via terminal (before I had a CL client running) would report as corrupt when I tried to send them back!
Martin
Global Admin

MAKEing Packs - Jaap's OPK Editor

Post by Martin »

Hi Daren

(note Manual = Re-Published Developer Manual (here))

Jaap's OPK Editor..

Works a treat... be sure to put the 'most used' files / data at the top to ensure it's found quickly. I keep the windows download folder open so after [Save Pack As] on a [New Pack] you can imediately rename and move the 'packname.opk' to the working folder, If you don't you will end up with duplicates and you'll end up using the wrong one. You can only load program files as OB3's (translated OPL's) so you will need 'DOS' (I use CMD.EXE and/or DosBOX) to run OPLTRAN @FileName (page 23/24 of the Manual).

Use Windows Notepad to keep a list of the files that are on the pack. This would be the .BLD file if you were to use BLDPACK.EXE. Cross reference the details as you [Import Item] or [Add New Item] while your building the pack contents.

Although I still use DOS with OPLTRAN (filename.TRN), BLDPACK (filename.BLD) and MAKE with an original RS232 Serial Lead. - You can of course use ORG-Link and USB.

When you first start it is very confusing with all the different file types, but you'll get such a buz when you get it to work. I suggest using a RAMpack for your proofing and debugging as it formats and 'MAKEs' the pack quickly so you're not waiting around for the UV formatter or the burning of a datapak..

NOTE... Recently someone mentioned they had fried a laptop motherboard driving a USB Floppy... I've never heard of an issue with a USB Comms Link drawing the power to 'burn' a datapak but perhaps the use of a 'powered' USB adaptor might be prudent.

Also it is very rewarding if the pack is 'bootable' See Appendic C page 40 of the Manual. Again tricky at first but worth the effort.

And finally if you can use DOS then consider ORG2.EXE 'emulator' to write, test and debug your programmes. (page 7 of the Manual).

Let me know how you get on... If you need any help just ask... PM me if need be..
Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
Daren

Post by Daren »

That’s great Martin! So a bootable pack will appear on top menu like the great XP Tools pack I got from you? I think I saw the option on Jaap’s OPK editor to make a bootable pack when I looked at it before - I am a fair way off from getting my programs finished but it will be great to have a bootable pack like XP Tools with my own programs - any caveats to creating a bootable pack that are worth mentioning?
Martin
Global Admin

Creating BOOTable Packs

Post by Martin »

Yes there is a 'Bootable' check box in the Pack Header section of Jaaps OPK File Editor. BUT I think I once had an issue with it (I'm not sure what I did wrong) but ever since I 'Manually' make packs bootable by following the 'original' instructions from the republished Developer Manual (Appendic C Page 40). Place these three files [Import Item] at the top of your pack Contents List underneath MAIN. (see BOOTIing.ZIP attached)

BOOT BIN
BOOT OB3
ADDTOP OB3

BOOT.BIN is a (Psion supplied) binary file that is called by ADDTOP (You don't do anything with this file, just make it the top of the list.

BOOT.OB3 this is an OPLTRANlated copy of BOOT.OPL (xpTOOLS example below).
(a) change the name of the 'menu item name' ("TOOLS") to your name there must be a program of that name somewhere on the pack.
(b) change the number (,3) that determines the position on the menu that your item will appear. Use '0' if you want it to be the first item.
(c) then translate it to OB3 with OPLTRAN . For a CM/XP don't forget the -x flag with OPLTRAN (page 24)

Code: Select all

BOOT:
ADDTOP:("TOOLS",3)
ADDTOP.OB3 is a Psion supplied OB3 (Organiser Binary File Type 3) that POKEW's your given manu item name into your chosen position (page 41). You don't need to do anything with this file I just put it under BOOT.

Which ever method you choose (Jaaps or the above) there is ceratinly a sense of satisfaction when you see your pack 'boot' onto the top level menu. Some of the software companies put their 'start' program in the BOOT.OB3 (missed out addtop) and the programm automatically appeared every time the Organiser was turned on. Users would think it was an organiser dedicated to that program or company, but in fact the main menu was still there it was just never called....

Once it is 'running' you will spot something that is not 'just right'. Maybe a screen scrolls when it shouldn't or an input label is not quite to your liking. Because you know how simple it is to make alterations and 're-MAKE' your pack you will want to change it. If you are working with Datapaks you will need to 'UV format' the pack then 're-burn' it, this is the best part of an hour. It is then that you realise the value of a RAMpack as you can just (ORG-Link) Make Pack and the organiser will quickly re-format and re-MAKE the pack.. Do this until you have it 'just right' than MAKE it to a Datapak.

When you have it ready I'd be interested to have a look at it (or before if you are struggling)

Sincerely
Martin

PS use 5mm square graph paper to set out the 16 x 2 CM/XP screen to your liking.
PPS if you forget to use the -x flag with OPLTRAN everything will look right but it just not work when in the CM/XP
BOOTing.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.