Favourite Psion programs etc.

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
Daren

Post by Daren »

I’d be interested to know what programs users enjoy the most on their Psion, be it built in, commercial paks, or self programmed or other non commercial programs written by others.

I have quite a collection of paks, but actually mostly use the built in programs or some that I have written myself, I have tried quite a few of the user programs on Jaap’s page, but not all of them yet. I probably use the spreadsheet the most of the commercial paks I have, although I have not done anything “serious” with it yet.

Also what area if any do you think the Psion could be (realistically) improved? For me I think file handling is a little cumbersome and I might attempt to program something to aid this in the future. Stuff like deleting and copying, in a bit more of a modern way, rather than using the built in Utils which I find a bit lacking in that once you do a single action it takes you right back out, so for example if wanting to delete multiple items it can be a bit time consuming, and other things like renaming which isn’t a feature.
Martin
Global Admin

Post by Martin »

Programs and Utilities for worth consideration

Filemaster combined with Filemaker (in DOS). Worth a look - filemaker helps you see and manipulate your database records full screen - I use it to keep the look database file up to date and 'clean' (see below). Filemaster was specifically written to give users OPL access so you can write your own enhancements. Anyone interested could check out LINKs and the amendments to Filemaker (here).

AUTOSCRIBE PLUS - Word Processor for the Psion Organiser II If you need a more 'sufisticated' notepad then Autoscrible Plus (here) is feature rich.

Jotter.. For XP users a less sophisticated but very adaptable Notepad / Database / File manager. The worked example in the republished manual (here) shows how an XP user could use it as their amateur radio contact logger.

Also for CM/XP users looking to 'upgrade' the built in applications then (xpTOOLS) is also worth a look. File, Info, Comms...

For those looking to create their own utilities then these 'modules' might be worth look.
Files CM/XP/LZ Dave Woolnough File examination utility.
Load LZ+PC Filip Van Vooren Utility for transferring a whole directory of OB3 files
MDir 3.0 CM/XP/LZ Peter Houppermans Creates a list of contents of all files on the Organiser..
Psi-Graph LZ Henry Hallam Displays bar graphs.
Utils LZ A set of utilities for changing settings (sound, keyboard clicks, border character), and unit conversions (temperatures, weights, distances)
Xfiles CM/XP File utility similar to the XFiles option of the LZ.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day to day use..
Calculator of course...
Use the Diary to keep a record of all on-line internet payments -backed up to Rampak
Use Look database file to keep internet site sign in details - can put Look on the main menu so you can call it with a single key press.
Use spreadsheet as an EVlog backed up to Rampak

The LZ64 in the factory has the CNC cutter / tooling utilities

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Renaming... Datapak EEPROM... Because the records are scattered all over the pack, interspaced with other data. The only way to rename files is to copy them to somewhere else (which by the way has the effect of defraging and storing them in the order they were saved (leaving behind any deleted records)). You can of course give the 'new' file a different name which has the effect renaming it.

Sincerely
Martin
1333david

Re: Favourite Psion programs etc.

Post by 1333david »

One of the many uses I find for my Psion is to keep track of various ToDo lists. I prefer the larger font of the XP model so I downloaded Andy Grieve's List/Edit program from Jaap's site. I made some improvements and now use it everyday. If anyone would like my modified version feel free to let me know. Hopefully Mr Grieve won't mind me sharing a modified version of his program from 36 years ago! I still have some more improvements planned such as moving items from one ToDo list to another. Hopefully, I'll get to this one day...it's on my todo list!
Martin
Global Admin

Post by Martin »

With this 'Favourite Psion programs' question in mind I've just publiashed a list of program packs available around the internet.
(links in the program pack section)

Sincerely
Martin
Daren

Re: Favourite Psion programs etc.

Post by Daren »

Nice one Martin, I remember another site some years back that had some Psion software, bioeddie.co.uk I think it was called, can’t remember much other than it had quite a lot of stuff on there - possibly all on Jaap’s page now? Anyone remember that site? The domain is now just a placeholder for one of those domain vendors.