OPL Emulator on Android or IOS

Use this section to showcase your programming examples. Or to ask members for programming suggestions
Zzoom

OPL Emulator on Android or IOS

Post by Zzoom »

I think I may be away with the fairies even asking this but Would this ever be possible ? How about running a full screen version of the fantastic Java -JAPE on your phone. is this so crazy :o
amenjet

Re: OPL Emulator on Android or IOS

Post by amenjet »

This is definitely possible. The easiest way to run an OPL would be to emulate a ROM, I think, as that can be based on code that already exists.
Jape, being javascript, should run on Android or iOS, in a browser already, shouldn't it? That does require Jaap's website to be up and running if loading from there.

You could probably port it over to whatever language you liked, or write your own to run on any platform at all.

Pulling OPL out as a stand alone piece of code is also possible, but equally as hard as an emulator, probably harder. I'm attempting that as an ongoing project and it requires understanding of the internals of OPL, and creation of at least two components: the compiler and the runtime, both of which are more complicated than I expected. My target language for this is C as I want to run it on the RP Pico and put it on the Organiser recreation hardware.

Whether anyone is going to do an iOS or Android this is another matter. I have written android apps in the past, but I'm not a fan of the platform, and haven't done any work on it for many years. I don't have any Apple hardware, well, I have an Apple II from when they shipped machines with schematics and listings of the code in them and a dismantled Newton, but nothing from the modern Apple.
Zzoom

Post by Zzoom »

Thats very interesting ,I wonder what's Jaaps up to these days ? there doesnt appear to have been any movement on his site for many years now perhaps we can lure him out of "retirement" otherwise its up to you Amenjet !!!! I have been closely following all your work with all the different hardware/software emulation mods and more rescently the proposed new OPL absolutely fascinating ..
Martin
Global Admin

Jaap's web-site & OPL Emulator on Android or IOS

Post by Martin »

Hi All

Jaap is still active on his mechanical calculator YouTube channel (here) with Web-site (here). Although his Psion II change log page has not been updated since May '21. I know he still keeps an eye on the site as he has updated ORG-Link to version 2 (although it is not the latest version you will find on lostgallifreyan web site).

He chooses not to respond to Organiser eMails, I know Peter has tried to no avail.

It was a scare when his web-site was down for a few hours and as Andrew suggested we should have a space (here) when members can find other sources of information.

As for running Jape on a mobile phone. I don't have one so can't check but surely if you have a browser then you can run Jape!

Always sincere
Martin
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

Zzoom wrote: ↑Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:45 pm Thats very interesting ,I wonder what's Jaaps up to these days ? there doesnt appear to have been any movement on his site for many years now perhaps we can lure him out of "retirement" otherwise its up to you Amenjet !!!! I have been closely following all your work with all the different hardware/software emulation mods and more rescently the proposed new OPL absolutely fascinating ..
I downloaded the source bundle for Jape, and it has all of the resources the program uses, I think, so it might be possible to run it using NodeJS, maybe. I'm not sure that's on Android, though.
The zip file is on Jaap's site here:

https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/jape/about.htm
Zzoom

Post by Zzoom »

Well I tried running Jape via my phones browser (dont know why I hae never tried that before) and its suprisingly good .Almost usable .with a few tweaks it could be somewhat ok .here is what I would like:
. Ini file to set preference of model /rom
.local storage of opl or automatic snap
.full screen
.sound

I have downloaded Jaaps source files .so Im off to learn Javascipt now :D with the hoping I can set something up to run stand alone.
Hawsey

Post by Hawsey »

Excellent đź‘Ť must try this .