Compiled OPL

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
amenjet

Compiled OPL

Post by amenjet »

I'm starting to put together a 'NewOPL' and have decided that it probably is a good idea to have a translation stage so that the inefficiencies of parsing the source OPL is multiplied when you execute it, particularly in loops. I've also decided that it is probably useful to use the same QCodes as the original Organiser, with additions, as that means that the execution of QCodes can be tested with either the NewOPL compiler or the original OPL compiler. Similarly, the NewOPL compiler object files should be runnable on an original organiser as long as none of the new features (graphics, for instance). I need to make a runtime to execute code (and a compiler and other tools), so was looking here:

https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/qcodes.htm

for the details of the QCodes.When I compiled the example code in section 4, and looked at the QCodes, I found that it didn't match the QCodes on that page. Looking at the QCodes, there is an E7 variable, which isn't in the QCodes given. Have I missed something here, or is this an error on the page?
Martin
Global Admin

Compiled OPL - ATRAN Reminder

Post by Martin »

Hi Andrew... Although I can't help with the QCodes...

I wanted to remind you and anyone else watching that in 1990 an unknown Spanish enthusiast wrote... "ATRAN.EXE is a compiler of OPL for the IBM-PC and compatibles. The operation is similar to the OPLTRAN.EXE of PSION PLC. In this document is intended to explain its operation and its characteristics."

I realise this is PC based translation but wanted to post this reminder. I know Νίκος our lamd surveying Greek member is an enthusiastic user especially he say's because of the inclusion of GOSUB label:: and RETSUB and amongst other benefits outlined in the 'Readme' the author states ATRAN is between 3 to 5 times faster than OPLTRAN

The ATRAN Zip is too large to attach here but for those interested you can find it in DevPACK.ZIP (here)

As an side.. If / When Andrew gets this working there will be a shortage of Organiser II 'cases'... like with the USB Comms Link... Is everyone keeping hold of there spare Organisers?

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
amenjet

Re: Compiled OPL - ATRAN Reminder

Post by amenjet »

Martin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:35 am Hi Andrew... Although I can't help with the QCodes...

I wanted to remind you and anyone else watching that in 1990 an unknown Spanish enthusiast wrote... "ATRAN.EXE is a compiler of OPL for the IBM-PC and compatibles. The operation is similar to the OPLTRAN.EXE of PSION PLC. In this document is intended to explain its operation and its characteristics."

I realise this is PC based translation but wanted to post this reminder. I know Νίκος our lamd surveying Greek member is an enthusiastic user especially he say's because of the inclusion of GOSUB label:: and RETSUB and amongst other benefits outlined in the 'Readme' the author states ATRAN is between 3 to 5 times faster than OPLTRAN

The ATRAN Zip is too large to attach here but for those interested you can find it in DevPACK.ZIP (here)
Ah, excellent, I had a quick look this morning and didn't find anything like this. Unfortunately there's no source, and i use Linux.
There's a compiler set for the much later OPL on Symbian but that isn't th eorganiser version, so not very helpful. It shouldn't be too difficult to get a toolset working. Then extra commands can be added as needed.
As an side.. If / When Andrew gets this working there will be a shortage of Organiser II 'cases'... like with the USB Comms Link... Is everyone keeping hold of there spare Organisers?

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
The recreation PCBs are the same size as the original set and fit in an XP or LZ case, and the display is OK in both. It's probably best to use XP cases as the LZs are more capable and are Y2K compliant.
amenjet

Re: Compiled OPL

Post by amenjet »

I don't normally make repositories public while I'm working on them as it is probably very disappointing to find that things aren't finished or working when you stumble across an interesting one. As an experiment, I am this time with the NewOPL stuff. Not sure that name is brilliant, but it'll do.

It's here:

https://github.com/blackjetrock/newopl

At the moment all that works is a little bit of newopl_objdump which can dump the first tiny bit of a QCode block.
thesourcerer

Post by thesourcerer »

I reply to Martin’s comment about a shortage of cases - I don’t think so! I have (many) dozens of CM and XP’s!
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

thesourcerer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:42 pm I reply to Martin’s comment about a shortage of cases - I don’t think so! I have (many) dozens of CM and XP’s!
Ah, yes, the CM is probably even better for internals replacement.
thesourcerer

Post by thesourcerer »

CM’s it is then. Hopefully you will get my parcel shortly.
Peter
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

Ah, it was a surprise, but yes, it has arrived.
I'll investigate the hardware next and see what needs to be changed to get a system based on SD card storage. I think just the power PCb needs to be changed. I'll try to arrange it so that the main PCB is the same, so you can swap between power PCBs to get either functionality (with a code change).