Hi from Spain :)

Reserved for announcements of general interest, news, etc...
jsbotr

Hi from Spain :)

Post by jsbotr »

My interest in computing began with my older brother's Spectrum 128k. Even as a child, I was fascinated by the ability to create extremely simple programs.

Later, although I had access to an Amiga 500 and other systems (family business), at 16, my interest shifted to the Psion 3c after seeing it in a magazine, which my father kindly gifted me. I admit I was seduced by its aesthetics and format beyond its actual capabilities. Once I had it, I discovered it could be programmed... and that's where it all really began.

When the Series 5 was released, I naturally bought it and used it intensively at the start of my career, especially for notes in Word and OPL for my personal programming projects.

Then came a series of other devices like Palm, Nokia Communicator, HP/Compaq Windows Pocket, and the impressive first iPhone, which in my opinion, is the pinnacle of usability.

Over the years, I realized that all current machines have several issues in my opinion. The first is autonomy, the second is productivity, and the third is privacy.

In 2020, I bought a Series 5 and 5Mx again. Despite being incredible machines, I think the screen is poor and the opening mechanism is rubbish in the long run (it will break). I decided to revisit the Series 3 and bought the Series 3, 3a, and 3mx.

I consider the PSION 3mx to be the ultimate expression of this company, a machine that combines hardware and software incredibly well, with a good screen, battery life, and everything a PSION device carries. However, I fear using them due to the hinge issue, so I keep them as museum pieces.

In the search for a robust and definitive system, I came across the Organiser II, specifically the LZ64. This was an unknown and quite ugly machine to me, but it was from PSION, so I had to try it.

Compared to a Series 3, it obviously falls short, but it's clear it was the foundation for the rest of the systems. It's amazing to see all the hidden programming details that ensure everything is perfectly integrated. I don't know if they were the best engineers, but they certainly communicated with each other to make all the "applications" feel like a single experience, which is very noticeable.

Now I'm 45, still working in technology, have tried every mainstream portable device that has existed, and am certain that the Organiser II is my definitive system: robust, autonomous, private, and with limited resources which makes you strive to get the most out of it.

We are made to believe that managing our lives requires 200 million apps and systems, but the truth is current devices just stop us from thinking and waste our time on trivialities.

Disclaimer: English is not my native language, and I have used a translator for this post.
Lostgallifreyan

Re: Hi from Spain :)

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

jsbotr wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:39 pm Disclaimer: English is not my native language, and I have used a translator for this post.
Mastery in Spanish though, else the translation could never have been as good as it was.

Interesting post too, looking back at earlier machines and identifying particular reasons to do so.

I stay with the Organiser XP because it's small, light, relatively hard to damage. I always wanted an HC but when I eventually got one, its weight, and the frailty of the hinges on the battery cover, were a serious disappointment. I doubt it could survive a fall of 1m to concrete. The WorkAbout (horrible name, horrible shape) is actually one of the best devices ever built, and if protected the way Fluke multimeters are protected, with a holster, a WorkAbout might take a fall from the top of a telegraph pole onto concrete! It's what I consider to be the true, most direct descendent of the 8-bit series II Organisers. The only problem is the silly prices and the rarity of finding any in good condition. It's still far easier to find the 8-bit machines..

I second the recommendation of ORG-Link as comms server on a PC given to another recent arrival on this forum, but I'm not an impartial witness. (I made it).

I think Nokia devices used the Symbian OS, which is a direct descendent of Psion's 8-bit OS (or perhaps the 16-bit 'SIBO' variant). The relation might be more complex than that, and definitely worth looking into.