LZ/LZ64 aesthetic revisions

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
okto

Post by okto »

I've seen pictures of both a gray-and-blue keyboard label and a brown-toned one; are they different, or is the brown one just faded?

How uncommon is the late LZ64 with the plastic display bezel instead of the pressed-metal surround?
Martin
Global Admin

Post by Martin »

Hi Okto..

Consumer Organiser II models when new have a pale blue background to the number part of the keyboard... This is known to turn brown/yellow when exposed to sunlight for long periods. The buyers guide (here) looks at the quality of purchased machines. Also from an aesthetic point of view check the quality of the labelling on the EXE and ON/CLEAR keys as there are the most used.

(plastic display bezel) @thesourcerer will know how common they are but in the mean time Jaap has one (here)

Sincerely Martin
thesourcerer

Re: LZ/LZ64 aesthetic revisions

Post by thesourcerer »

The plastic surrounded versions were made some time after main production had ceased. I think it is interesting that Psion thought they would become obsolete, but due to demand and pressure from several larger commercial users they produced the later version. I do not know the quantities manufactured, but it would have been a sizeable run to make it viable. They are not as popular as the original ones, but normally are in very good condition. It is worth noting that it is relatively easy to remove screen scratches with metal polish. It is also fairly easy to replace EXE and ON keys, but there are not enough scrap Organisers without worn keys to go round, since most are in working order. The same applies with dented or scratched aluminium surrounds. It is also possible to replace the discoloured keyboard background label, but it is a tedious job.
phil8715

Post by phil8715 »

I think mines an industrial version. It's a LZ P464.
okto

Post by okto »

The late-rev LZ64 is now in my hands, and appears to have been opened and/or harvested for parts (one screw missing, battery door missing). I need to confirm if the late version had the same spring-loaded battery connector as the earlier version, because mine has a regular snap-contact battery connector that appears to have been wired in by a previous owner, and the wires are so short that it’s very difficult to install the battery.
Martin
Global Admin

Post by Martin »

Hi Okto

It is can be a problem with on-line auction sites and sellers not 'showing' the defects. That's why I always get my stuff from the Powerfull Pierre. I realise this is difficult when you are half way around the world.

On the bright side if you didn't pay over the odds. If the keyboard is in good order there is a shortage of 'nice' EXE and ON keys. That battery adaptation is when a novice strips the machine and either loses the battery spring or struggles to get it the right way round. It is too easy for them to cut and shunt a battery holder clip. All variants had the same 'spring' battery older system.

Have you done a PEEKB(-23) (-24) and -(25) Jaap has a list (here)...

Martin