Storing Internet Passwords safely on your four line display Organiser

Popular in previous forums place your programming snippets here
Martin
Global Admin

Storing Internet Passwords safely on your four line display Organiser

Post by Martin »

If you are looking for a secure store for your 'internet' passwords and log-in data.

(1) Use [Xfiles][New] to create a file in A: perhaps (Hide or Look). Tip use a four letter word beggining with B,E,G,H,I,J,K,L,Q,R,V,Y,Z - this way you can then use the first letter to access the database.

(2) Place this file name on the top level menu - page 50 and 56 of the republished LZ operating manual (here) explaing how to do this.

(3) Now you can [Xfiles][Save] your individual passwords and records to this file.

(4) When you want to remember some details you can use the first letter [H] to [Find in A:Hide] what you want.

(5) more experienced users (with Comms Links) might create this database on a PC with Excel (Save_as Text TAB delimited)
or the DOS based FileMaker (here) than transfer it to the Organiser

(6) Finally to make the data secure - use [Utils][Passw] to set a simple password. Now with the Organiser password set On. For anyone to get into the Organiser to see this information they will have to remove the battery 'et voila' the password data has disappeared.

Post below how you get on...
Sincerely Martin

PS I know its ridiculous to create a password to keep your passwords secure!
PaulK

Re: Storing Internet Passwords safely on your four line display Organiser

Post by PaulK »

Martin,

Thanks for this- works a treat, and certainly not likely to be hacked given the Organiser is an "air gapped" system.

I'd say its almost essential to produce the database on a PC/Mac and transfer across to the Psion, if, like me, your passwords contain symbols not easily available on the Psion keyboard e.g. @, & etc.. that most services seem to require in modern passwords these days.

I keep meaning to install Jaaps keyboard tool (https://www.jaapsch.net/psion/software/opl/keys111.zip) which might reduce the reliance on a computer with a "proper" keyboard.

Many thanks,
Paul.