A quick intro ...

Reserved for announcements of general interest, news, etc...
Pernod

A quick intro ...

Post by Pernod »

Hi everyone,

I've never owned any Psion machines but have been experiencing them though emulation in MAME. I'm a developer and regular contributor to MAME emulation, main expertise is Acorn machines but also interested in anything from 80's/90's that hasn't yet been emulated.

I have recently been working on Psion Series 3/3a/3mx/Siena/Workabout emulation. I also intend to look into improving emulation of the Organiser machines, so hope to tap into the knowledge here :)
- Nigel

MAME Developer
Martin
Global Admin

Welcome

Post by Martin »

Welcome Nigel

Jaap Scherphuis has an excellent Organiser II Javascript Psion Emulator (here). If it has a deficiency it is the inability to 'copy' programmes from a text editor into the emulator although it is great at working with datapak images that can be compiled and edited in his OPK Editor. Jaap did say he was going to produce some form of 'cut and past' into the [Prog][Edit] page but never got round to it. If you try it - check out the contrast wheel...I'm amazed every time I use it

PSION had DOS based 'simulators' that work well for program development.. They are in the DevPACK (here) (ORG2xp and ORG2LZ) The XP simulator is interesting as it simulates a fully working two line XP whereas by the time they got round to updating it for the four line LZ they only implemented the [Prog] menu.

Sincerely
Martin

PS be careful there is a difference between DevPACK and DevKIT. DevKIT was complied from the PSION's Developer Floppy and some of the 'stuff' is out of date. DevPACK is the latest version of all the utilities and contains other development utilities and was compiled by Dave Woolnough, Boris Cornet and Jaap Scherphuis.
wincent

Re: A quick intro ...

Post by wincent »

Hello Nigel and all,

there is also an emulator for Psion Organiser II called Psiora. The source code is at GitHub: https://github.com/ScottRichardsCG/Psiora. Recently I compiled it as a static Windows binary, available here: https://github.com/ScottRichardsCG/Psio ... 1575156780

Kind regards,

Wincent
phil8715

Post by phil8715 »

Do you have to have a specific version of Mame?
I'm getting a retro handheld emulation device that emulates 8bit systems from Atari 2600 right upto 32bit systems.

It's running a forked version of Linux, I know that Psion will run on Mame 0.255 the latest version, but will it work on any version of Mame?
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

phil8715 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:54 pm Do you have to have a specific version of Mame?
I'm getting a retro handheld emulation device that emulates 8bit systems from Atari 2600 right upto 32bit systems.

It's running a forked version of Linux, I know that Psion will run on Mame 0.255 the latest version, but will it work on any version of Mame?
If you want Series 3 emulation then you'll need at least 0.253, and expect further improvements in 0.257 when it's released.

For Series 5 emulation you'll need something from within the past couple of years, and Organiser likely a few years older.

You can expect improvements to all Psion emulation in future releases so always recommend to use the latest release.
- Nigel

MAME Developer