Is It Possible To Transfer Data From PC to Psion Organiser II?

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
phil8715

Is It Possible To Transfer Data From PC to Psion Organiser II?

Post by phil8715 »

I know you can transfer data via a comms link from the Psion Organiser II to PC but can you transfer from PC to Psion Organiser II?

I want to put a game on that can be downloaded from Japp's website.

How would I go about doing it and is it like doing it on a Psion Series 3?
amenjet

Re: Is It Possible To Transfer Data From PC to Psion Organiser II?

Post by amenjet »

I use a USB comms link to send and receive files, using the TRANSMIT and RECEIVE menu options in the comms link menu.
I have transferred programs and files using this method.

When copying datapack images I use the datapack tool to directly copy the image to the pack. Not a lot of people have one of those tools, though, so not much help to know that.

Regards

Andrew
Martin
Global Admin

Transfer Data To and From the PC

Post by Martin »

Phil

(1) Yes the Comms Link is bi-directional
(2) (Games from Jaap's website) It depends on the 'file type'

OPL un-compiled Organiser Programming Language file - can be transferred to and from the Organiser with a Comms Link.

OB3 compiled OPL (into Organiser Binary type 3) file - needs Comms Link XTRECV command see page 72 of Comms Link Manual (here)

OPK Organiser PacK image (usually with lots of OB3's and other files BUILT into a pack image) - Needs MAKE from the Developer Pack see page 28 (here)

Full list of file extensions and types in both of the manuals above

Also as you are just getting started and may not have everything you need but do have a 'spare' datapak and are willing to send it to me then I could MAKE the pack for you and send it back so you can get started (PM me)

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
Lostgallifreyan

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

Org-Link. :)
/end plug..

What really is useful is a UV EPROM eraser from Ebay, and a small job lot of cheap datapacks for the Organiser.

You can put an image on a bigger capacity pack at need. They take about 20 minutes to erase, but that time can be useful for thinking about what to try next. Practising transfers to and from the internal RAM A: is good too, for fast experiments, especially when developing new code.

Data files are easy to handle, but can be slow if they're big, so for that reason I prefer to prepare a pack image on a PC with the command line tool BLDPACK that comes with the original Psion development kit, then use Org-Link to put it on a fresh pack plugged into the Organiser. (And I make sure I power the machine from a mains adapter when I do it, too, it's not good if a battery dies when doing this!) Reading packs is easier, and safer, and is a good way to explore Org-Link without risk.
phil8715

Post by phil8715 »

Can you please post a photo of one?

I've seen them on ebay but they don't look like the type I need.