Struggling With Notepad

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
phil8715

Struggling With Notepad

Post by phil8715 »

I seem to be struggling with the Notepad.

What happens I made a note of a journey I'm making and I save it (or so I thought) exited the Notepad and opened it again and pressed New to start new note.

I finished entering the second note saved it, ( again so I thought) exited the notepad and went back into it and it showed the second note.

Went into find and put a word in from the first note but couldn't find it.

Does it only save the last note you made?
PaulK

Re: Struggling With Notepad

Post by PaulK »

Hi,

The "Find" function only looks for the search string within the open note.

If you are going to be entering lots of journeys, then it might be better to set up a database using "SAVE" from the main menu (I'm on an LZ, but think its the same for XP, CM) since the search function will search through all entries.

There may also be other applications that you could install on your Psion that improve search functionality over the standard note function, but others with more experience would need to advise on this.

Many thanks
Paul.
phil8715

Post by phil8715 »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

Is the database built in or is it a separate app?
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

The Organiser was built as probably the first "handheld database" so yes it's built in, and data file handling is a major part of the operating system and the OPL programming language. This separates the organiser from many other early handheld computers of the time which were more like programmable calculators, without this "information storage" ability.

The Save and Find options in the main menu will save and find data in the main database file (which is called "main" but that's not obvious when you first use it). The LZ has the Xfiles menu which allows to create other database files, often just called Files.

Also on the LZ, the Search option in the Utils menu searches everything so will find in Notes or Files.

Adding a Notes or File to the main menu (by pressing mode) will allow to load and open it more easily.

Within Notes you can swap to another notes file by selecting Load (or New) from the menu (you need to Save first or you lose it).

It's a bit odd at first, but you get used to it.
Martin P.
Martin
Global Admin

Notepads and Xfiles

Post by Martin »

Hi Paul

Everything MartinP said is correct except there is no [Utils][Search] function on the CM/XP variants. But as you are using a POS2LZ64 patched LZ64 then everything he said hold true.

Also with [Notes] over [Xfiles] you are not limited to 16 lines (database files are limited to a maximum of 16 fields - suitable for most database uses).
--
Extract from the re-published LZ Operating Manual - 9 The Notepads
Using more than one notepad - Page 38
When you first enter Notes, you enter the current notepad which is called NOTEPAD. However, you can also have a number of notepads, each of which is in a file. There are two ways of doing this:

The easiest way to create extra notepads is to insert notepad names in the main menu. You can then go straight from the main menu into your different notepads, without having to bother with saving and loading - each one is saved in device A: automatically. Chapter 16 covers this method.

You can also create new notepads using the notepad menu options. This method gives you the choice of choosing to save or discard changes to the current notepad when you load a different one. This section covers this method.
--
Out if interest I use Notepads an 'mini' help files when I publish a programme pack.

Sincerely intersted in watching you get started
Martin