Psion Org 1 LCD replacement

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
MartinP

Re: Psion Org 1 LCD replacement

Post by MartinP »

I was a bit vague there, the 6301 has a one-time programmable ROM, or PROM, and Jaap has an image of it on his website, so reverse engineering it isn't terribly difficult. Jaap also has a list of the system variables.
I don't have a Psion 1, else I'd have a look at the board myself.
Martin P.
amenjet

Post by amenjet »

MartinP wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:10 pm I was a bit vague there, the 6301 has a one-time programmable ROM, or PROM, and Jaap has an image of it on his website, so reverse engineering it isn't terribly difficult. Jaap also has a list of the system variables.
I don't have a Psion 1, else I'd have a look at the board myself.
Martin P.
Interesting. It might be possible to emulate that ROM on the recreation. I have taken mine apart and had a look. There's a RAM chip there for the 2K of RAM on mine.
IMAG3669p1.png
and a low serial number:
IMAG3668p1.jpg
Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

Andrew,
Thanks for the photos, the RAM chip is what I expected to see there, but it makes that other thing even more mysterious.
I don't think anyone has emulated (or recreated) the Psion 1 before. I'd quite like to have a go at POPL, the Psion Organiser Programming Language, which came before OPL.
Martin P.
Martin
Global Admin

POPL

Post by Martin »

Accessible at the bottom of Jaaps Psion II web page he has a collection of Organiser 'One' ROM images and manuals (here)... Although curiously no manual for the Maths Pack... Andrew if you haven't seen it there is ROM image there also...

Martin, and others interested, you get access to the POPL commands and function which are included in the Science and/or Finance packs, the manuals include a 'Programming Your Organiser' section. I assume this PROG activity option is also available on the Maths pack but curiously not on the Utils pack.

Reading through the POPL commands and functions it's interesting that this 'limited' vocabulary comes after the developers at Psion had already wrote the very compressive and successful programming language for the Sinclair QL Archive database utility.. Remember that a program and it's variables has to fit inside the 2K of RAM on the 'one'

In brief
Maximum size 200 bytes (characters)
26 'local' variables (A to Z)
20 'global' variables (Store & Recall)
IF's without ELSE of ENDIF's
Plenty of use of GOTO, (which in the 80's was becoming frowned upon)

I think it is interesting to see how it developed from POPL through OPL to OPLg

Sincerely
Martin
Martin
Global Admin

Psion Org 1 LCD with dodgy screen

Post by Martin »

PaulK wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:03 pm Thanks both.

Sounds like the options are limited, and definitely out of my skill range.

The reason I ask is because someone has offered me a Psion Org 1 for £20, but the LCD has some bleeding - a dark messy splodge on the top of the display, so I was unsure if it was worth getting.

Maybe I will, and see if I can source a new LCD at some point in the future.

Thanks again,

Paul
Hi Paul

Did you ever get this Organiser 1 with the doggy screen... If not, I think I might have just picked it up. I don't have it yet, but will let you know when it arrives.

Sincerely Martin
PaulK

Post by PaulK »

Hi Martin,

I didn't no, and I've just checked the advert and the one I'd seen is still available, unless it's the one you purchased and they've not updated the ad!

Was on for £25, reduced from £40.

Many thanks
Paul 😁