HOPE palmtop

This section for hardware reviews and Hardware developments
amenjet

HOPE palmtop

Post by amenjet »

I have had an exchange with a person who thought he had a Psion organiser. He sent some photos which you can see at a link in the comments here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DFUNjh ... lsScaRMHAT

it turns out that it is a Hindustan Office Products device which has similarities with the Organiser but is different. Anyone know about this machine? I've not seen it before. Apparently it was developed in collaboration with Psion.

Andrew
Martin
Global Admin

Re: HOPE palmtop - Indian Clone?

Post by Martin »

Original YouTube Question posted by - Samudra Saha - @gametech3603

Hindustan Office Products Limited has unveiled its new corporate identity. The company will now be known as Hope Technologies Limited. August 22, 2000
Label.jpg
thesourcerer may know about the actual Hope Palmtop. As for the manufacturer - Hindustan Office Products Ltd - now Hope Technologies, Still has an address in Noida... There are addresses all over India with the Head Office...
Hope Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
3rd Floor, No 29/1 Mallick Building
Hospital Road, Shivaji Nagar
Bangalore - 560001

The ZIP contains the posted images.....
HopePalmtop_Reduced_Images.zip
FRONT
As for the machine itself... Looking at the 'front' image you can see the glue residue from where a keyboard mask has bee removed. The keys look similar to that of an Organiser but the ON, MODE and SPACE keys have a different font from that on a genuine organiser. With a date of manufacture of around July 1990 I would guess it is an LZ clone.. Can someone tell how much memory it has by looking at the chips.

BACK
Looking at the back, of course it is nothing like n Organiser.

INSIDE
Others will be able to see the similarities of the the main board with that posted on Jaaps page (here). Notice the date July 1990.

On the power board the pins for data storage are similar to an Organiser but not for standard datapaks.

I can’t believe it is a genuine licensed ‘copy’. If Samudra can get it working it would be interesting to see if it is running an Organiser ROM.

Intrigued
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zenerdiode

Re: HOPE palmtop - Indian Clone?

Post by Zenerdiode »

Martin wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:11 pm With a date of manufacture of around July 1990 I would guess it is an LZ clone.. Can someone tell how much memory it has by looking at the chips.
Sure Martin. The memory chip with the sticker on has 3.6 which feels more like an XP version. LZs started at 4.x.
The HM62256LFP is a 32k RAM chip.
Christopher. - Check out my TRAP message, it’s not difficult to decode and is sometimes uttered under the breath when said message appears… :|
MartinP

Re: HOPE palmtop

Post by MartinP »

Interesting to see the different board layouts and power from 4x AA batteries, I guess these may have been cheaper to use than a 9V?
We might not find out if it was made under licence or if it was a clone, but it certainly shares a lot of DNA with the Organiser.
I wonder if it's a POS made with a particular application in mind? It's a pity the datapaks seem to be missing.
Has anyone else noticed that the first 3 letters of HOPE could stand for Hindustan Office Products?
Martin P.
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

Just found this, HOPE also made a version of the BBC model B micro, another piece of computing history. Check this out, if interested:
https://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det ... e-Dolphin/
thesourcerer

Post by thesourcerer »

Not come across it, so I can’t shed any light.