Can I MAKE my own program pack?

Be clear with the topic titles to help members find the answers
Martin
Global Admin

Can I MAKE my own program pack?

Post by Martin »

If you have a Comms Link and a spare Datapak (Rampak or Flashpak) and your Organiser of course; then you should be able to make your own program packs..

If you are new to it then there is a little reading I'm afraid.

(1) Page 28 of the republished Developer Manual (here) explains how to use the Psion supplied MAKE procedure. Check out the Hints & Tips on the same page.

(1a) Don't have MAKE.EXE then it in the DevPACK.ZIP at the same address.

(2) Want to use CMD.EXE or DosBOX in windows then page 52 of the manual has a copy of Jaaps - Using the Comms Link which has a comprehensive guide to installing DosBOX.

(2a) As these legacy DOS utilities need file names with a maximum 8.3 characters and don't play well with long or complicated directory structures. I suggest you install them in a directory of their own close to the root directory on drive C:\ for example C:\Psion - C:\Working - C:\DosBOX.

(3) Remember not to put a newly 'uv formatted' datapak in the Organiser until instructed to by the MAKE command. Otherwise it will be sized and you'll need to UV format it again before you can issue the MAKE command.

(3a) If you don't have a UV formatter and you are sure there is enough space on the datapak then you can try the AMAKE command which will try and append the OPK on the pack. If this works then you will need to manually place the 'calling' procedure on the main menu. Page 56 of the re-published LZ Operating Manual (here) has detail 'Customising the main menu' (or Page 65 of the original CM/XP Manual).

(3a(i)) The using large capacity packs (here) has a list of the 'calling' procedure for mose commercial programs
(3a(ii)) Note not all commercial program packs will work if they appended to a datapak.

(4) If you want to be sure the OPK is 'working' before going to the trouble of MAKEing it. Then you can check it in Jape first.

Post below any successes or issues.

Sincerely
Martin

PS I can UV Format datapaks for members for the cost of a couple of postage stamps - PM me for address details.
PPS If you don't have the inclination to make your own program packs then I can make them for you if you send me the datapaks.
Daren

Re: Can I MAKE my own program pack?

Post by Daren »

As per usual a great write up Martin, I eventually will get around to trying this, I have quite a few programs in various states of completion, and the plan is to put them all on a datapak along with menus. So this and your menu tutorial will be invaluable references when the time comes.

Many thanks!
Martin
Global Admin

ORG2.EXE Developer

Post by Martin »

Hi Daren

When you have finished your 'utility'. If you are happy with it and want to show it off then I'm interested to have a look at it.

If you have issues when bringing together the different routines you could use the Organiser Developer ORG2.EXE - check the Introduction to Programming example (here). With it for example you can step through your routines line by line examining the variables as you go.

Sincerely Martin
1333david

Re: Can I MAKE my own program pack?

Post by 1333david »

I've used Jaap's SENDPACK program before on the organiser to make an OPK. It's very simple to use.....However, I've noticed that it doesn't work well on my XP Model (32k) creating a pack larger than 16k. I get out of memory errors. I guess it must be using a lot of internal RAM to create the OPK file?
Martin
Global Admin

SENDPACK, UNMAKE and Psi2Backup

Post by Martin »

Hi David

SENDPACK of course is Jaaps replacement for Psions UNMAKE which as you know transfers an OPK from the Organiser to a file on the PC called PACK.OPK. For others watching that haven't used SENDPACK be carefull as it overwrites any file called PACK.OPK on the destination PC.

Jaap does recomend transfering the routines object only to a datapak this might be to save space in the RAM A:. That being said the programs are very small... Did you try using UNMAKE in place of SENDPACK? I'd be interested if this worked where SENDPACK failed? Also if all else fails and you don't have access to DosBOX or CMD.EXE to run UNMAKE then there is of course Boris Cornets Psi2Backup (copy here).

Like I say, I'd be intersted to know if UNMAKE or Psi2backup work where SENDPACK fails!

Sincerely Martin