Running Gpack Games

Many of these are still available on line, add your comments, reviews, observations and suggestions for each in this section
phil8715

Running Gpack Games

Post by phil8715 »

I've got a Gpack Games on a Datapack.

How do I run it?

I keep getting this code coming up : 7C60A1C0D0E.

Thanks in advance.
Martin
Global Admin

Re: Running Gpack Games

Post by Martin »

Hi Phil

What Organiser version are you using? GPACK will only work on a 4 line Organiser.. LZ or (P464 with patch)

I've just tried it in Jape It doesn't boot onto the main menu so you can run the it from [Prog][Run]B:gpack

You will see there are 5 programs on the pack, each can be run independently.

I've never seen or can make Jape create the code : 7C60A1C0D0E.

Let me know what machine you are using and remember if you don't have anything important in memory A:
The the Organiser equivalent to [Ctrl][Alt][Delete] is to remove the battery for a few seconds.

Sincerely
Martin.
phil8715

Re: Running Gpack Games

Post by phil8715 »

Hi Martin,

It's an LZP464

I actually ran the program and the games show up.

Cheers
Martin
Global Admin

Running POS2LZ64 patch

Post by Martin »

The (7C60A1C0D0E) error code you received must have been a spill over from running Terry Kitchener's POS2LZ64 patch..

You will know this but for others watching Terry's Readme.txts explains...
To convert a POS machine, simply insert the prepared pack and start the machine up. The program will automatically run and perform the patch. After a few seconds, it generates an error message and waits for a key press. Afterwards, the organiser powers down.
Actually I found it generates a series of four error messages as it boots..

He goes on to say..
After turning on again, the organiser behaves like a LZ. The pack may now be removed, as the user menus will appear without it even after the machine has been switched off. The pack will only be needed again after a cold boot (i.e. the organiser was left without battery for too long).

Technical info
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wrote the file to convert the POS 464 to a full working LZ64 way back in 1997 when my understanding of MC was far better than OPL. The RANDOMIZE statement may seem to be superfluous, but in fact it is required for a reason I can't remember.

I used Bill Aitkins disassembler (parts of which are wrong), to disassemble the ROM of the 464, compared it to a 'live' LZ64, found the missing init code, loaded it into unused space on the 464 and redirected TRAP to it. The beauty of this routine is that once the Org2 has booted, the routine is NEVER used again (unless the battery is removed), so it doesn't matter if it's overwritten. It is purely used to initialise the 464 into a LZ64.
Also if you don't remove the 'patch' pack the next time you press [ON/CLEAR] it tries to 'boot' the pack again and gives the OUT OF MEMORY ERROR. Best to take the pack out!

I find this stuff fascinating - I wouldn't know where to begin!
Sincerely Martin